STMicroelectronics has introduced a new 38 V buck converter with low quiescent current - the L6982. The L6982 is an easy-to-use synchronous monolithic step-down regulator capable of delivering up to 2 A DC to the load. The wide input voltage range makes the device suitable for a broad range of applications. L6982 is based on a peak current mode architecture and is packaged in an SO 8L with internal compensation, thus minimizing design complexity and size.
The L6982 is available both in low consumption mode (LCM) and low noise mode (LNM) versions. LCM maximizes the efficiency at light-load with controlled output voltage ripple so the device is suitable for battery-powered applications. LNM makes the switching frequency constant and minimizes the output voltage ripple for light-load operations, meeting the specification for low noise sensitive applications.
The L6982 has an EN pin that provides enable/disable functionality. The typical shutdown current is 2 μA when disabled. As soon as the EN pin is pulled up the device is enabled and the internal 1.3 ms soft-start takes place. Pulse-by-pulse current sensing on both power elements implements an effective constant current protection and thermal shutdown prevents thermal run-away.
Key features of L6982:
- 3.5 V to 38 V operating input voltage
- Output voltage from 0.85 V to VIN
- 2 A DC output current
- Internal compensation network
- Two different versions: LCM for high efficiency at light-loads and LNM for noise sensitive applications
- 2 μA shutdown current
- Internal soft-start
- Overvoltage protection
- Output voltage sequencing
- Thermal protection
- Synchronization to external clock for LNM devices
- SO 8L package
- Designed for 24 V buses industrial power systems
- 24 V battery powered equipment
- Decentralized intelligent nodes
- Sensors and always-on applications
- Low noise applications
Click here to learn more about the L6982.